Saturday 27 August 2011

CLOUD ATLAS - Jim Sturgess, Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving & more



OMG!! You know how I love a good book adaptation and think that there should be more of these instead of crappy remakes (stupid Kenny Ortega!) and this is promising to be yet another good one!

Already boasting a stand out cast including Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Susan Sarandon and Hugo Weaving (go team OZ), one of my fave boys has been confirmed for a role in this adaptaion of David Mitchell's novel CLOUD ATLAS. YES!!!

This adaptation has a modest budget so it's surprising to see so many big names attached, they must seriously believe in this picture which is always a good sign for the viewer! The Wachowski siblings (who brought us THE MATRIX) and German filmmaker Tom Tykwer (RUN LOLA RUN) have co-written and will be co-directing this film set to be shot in Germany's Studio Babelsberg. Word on the street is that each actor will play a variety of characters in each of the six worlds of the story and id that's not excitement enough here's what Jim Sturgess had to say about it to The Playlist:


"[All the actors] play a few characters, it’s very clever what [the directors are] gonna try and do. I’m really really really excited about it. I think it’s going to be bonkers, it’s either going to work or it’s not. I’m really excited to see if we can pull it off, because it’s ambitious what they want to do. And it’s nice, you feel like no one’s ever done that in a film before, it’s like rep theater on a sort of giant movie scale.”

I've not read the book yet, but I will be rushing out tomorrow to grab myself a copy and add it to the pile of books on my bedside table that I have to read before the film comes out (including WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN). The story apparently follows six plot threads across time including a bisexual musician in the 30s, a clone in a futuristic dystopia and a female journalist in a thriller in 1970s California.

I will let you know how I go with the book, but what I've read of the plot so far and the cast that's attached to this project I am very excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment