Monday 6 February 2012

THE MUPPETS - Review

Retro is in this season and the new Muppets film is no exception! This film had the potential to go along the commercial cash cow path and I was scared, but all my fears were allayed by the end of the opening number.

Gary and Walter are brothers who love The Muppets. Walter has always felt he was more like a Muppet than a man (mostly because he is). Mary is Gary's girlfriend and they are planning a trip to LA for their 10 year anniversary. Gary invites his Muppet brother Walter along so that they can all go to the Muppet Studios - a life long dream of theirs.

Walter discovers a secret plan by oil magnate Tex Richman to destroy Muppet Studios and drill for oil unless the Muppets can raise 10 million dollars to buy it back. So Walter, Gary and Mary join forces with Kermit to get the Muppets back together to put on a telethon to save the studio.



My childhood was brought to life in this film by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller, you could feel their love for The Muppets emanating through every scene. I will also give Bret McKenzie a special mention here too for his most wonderful songs including my favourite 'Man or Muppet'.


There were some fantastic cameos in the feature, which I appreciated much more than the cameos in the show when I was a kid. My favourite was Jim Parsons (Big Bang Theory) who features as Walter's 'man' in the 'Man or Muppet' song.

I went along to a preview of this last year and raved about it to anyone that would listen (although I wasn't allowed to review it at that time) and then went and watched it again last week and I'm still raving to anyone that will listen.

This film is truly joyous and uplifting and it's bringing some of the best characters from my childhood into the lives of a while new generation of kiddies. Kudos to Segel and Stoller for this magical piece of cinema, I think Jim Henson would be most pleased.

5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment