Thursday 28 July 2011

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER - Review

As far as the Marvel Avengers franchise goes CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER is probably my second favourite film with IRON MAN coming in at number one.

The story was great, the script well written, the cast beautifully chosen, a great soundtrack and well directed. The only thing that I was a little saddened by was that the special effects - cool as they were - were too unrealistic. Now I've had a few people say "yeah but it's Captain America, it should be like that", but I'm not convinced. I think there's a point where you can go "ok that crazy burning pit of fire looks realistic" and stop there. Although if that's really the only fault I can come up with then hey, not too bad right?

Let me tell you about the incredible casting of this film...Chris Evans as Steve/Captain America was perfect. He really had that character down and made you believe in him. Plus what they did with the CGI to make him look all scrawny and little was pretty freakin' crazy! For those of you who recognise Steve's best friend Bucky like I did, I'll save you the trouble and tell you he plays Carter in Gossip Girl. Finally a big shout out to Australia's own Hugo Weaving who played Johann Schmidt/Red Skull!! That man carried his accent beautifully throughout the film and he just made you hate him!

So really I'm not surprised this film took out leading position over HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 in the States last week. It was as I hear another cinema goer today say "the shiznits". Now I don't know what shiznits are, but they apparently loved the film and that's a term of endearment!

And for those of you out there desperate to see it but not sure you should take your ladies along, don't worry if they're not into this kind of film, there's plenty of man candy to keep them occupied!

4 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment